Sophia's Peace Work

Thursday, March 11, 2004

The following is an exchange of emails between myself and an Israeli gentleman, I'll call E. I did ask for permission to share it with others but got no reply ... so I took that as a "yes." Note: I had to recreate my emails to him from memory since I didn't save them, but I think they are reasonably accurate. Anyway, I'm curious to know what people think ....

Hello E,

I was given your name by a mutual friend. He thought you might be able to help me. I will be traveling to Israel sometime this summer to do volunteer work with either the Christian Peacemaker Team in Hebron or the International Solidarity Movement. I have been told that the border crossing will be much easier for me if I have the name and contact information of an Israeli. It would need to be a person who understands what I would be doing in Palestine and would not have a problem with me using their contact information. They can learn more about what I would be doing from www.cpt.org and www.palsolidarity.org.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. -Sophia

---------

Dear Sophia,

I am not a Palestinian, and I have not heard of Palestine. If you want to go to Palestine I suggest you find a Palestinian who would be your contact, and direct you to Hebron - the city of the Forefathers. I hope your mission in Iraq goes well, and that you shall find your quest an easy one.

We shall meet one day … and share memories of our peace keeping efforts in the Middle East.

Shabbat Shalom - E

--------

Dear E,

Hmmmm, I must have screwed up here and used the wrong language. Usually when I refer to Israel, I say Israel/Palestine. I did not mean to step on your toes. It is an Israeli contact I need, not a Palestinian contact.

- Sophia

--------

Dearest Sophia

No...you didn't fuck up with your language, you were ignorantly single-siding with the oppressed exploited part of the mess. You were just joining the majority and that's your business. Now of course you need an Israeli contact in order to penetrate Palestine and side with them. I suggest a good old honest man called Yasser-The-Great as a contact. Hey...he might even give you a parcel to take into a bus or a super market or so.

Anyway – your friend... will connect you with the right guy. Deal ????? - E


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home