Sophia's Peace Work

Friday, April 09, 2004

It's a Jubba & Hijab Day

I had to go out this morning for a meeting I could not reschedule. Alaa was nervous about it but I put on a Jubba (a long coat) and Hijab (head scarf) and off we went with her nephew for the meeting. Alaa has been lobbying me to come stay with her at her father's house and so we thought Friday might be a good day since westerners are trying to stay out of sight. I kept asking Alaa if she was sure it was alright with her father since I know they don't approve of her work as a translator for westerner. She assured me that it was fine, so swathed from head to toe, we went over to her parents home. But a half hour into the visit, Alaa leaned over to tell me, "Well, maybe you won't be able to stay tonight." Apparently Dad is not pleased ... though he remains polite. I don't blame him at all ... but it looks like it's back to the hotel for me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home