Sophia's Peace Work

Sunday, August 22, 2004

I continue to keep tabs with groups in Iraq and I'm assisting an Iraqi Environmental NGO start a Tigris River Envrionmental Education Project. I just got the word that the Iraqi Ministry of Education has approved the project and so it's going forward this fall. Yee Haa!!!

This kind of thing is ideal for me given my previous work experience is related to environmental education projects and water issues in the Northwest. And, I would hazard a guess, there has never been a project like this before in Iraq. My dream would be to eventually set up something like a Sound Experience program on the Tigris. Everyone I spoke to in Iraq about this idea was really intrigued and I've already sent the group I'm working with alot of curriculum ideas from the Northwest.

My job is to help obtain the water quality test kits that the students will use in the program. I've already located a supplier in Amman, Jordan but I'm stymied by the cost of the kits. At a minimum I need about $1428, but I don't have enough left to cover such a cost.

I've got to find a way to raise the money in just a few short weeks and I've written to all the newspapers I know trying to interest them in writing a story about the project ... But I can't help but wonder if the people back home are sick to death of hearing about me and my adventures by now?

Anyway, if anyone feels moved to help me out with a gift to support this project feel free to send it to me at:

Anna Sophia Bachmann, PO Box 287, Port Townsend, WA 98368.

I am NOT a 501(c)3 non-profit, so this would have to be considered a gift, not a tax-deductible donation. (Whew, I hope I've covered myself with the IRS here! Yeesh, you never know with those people.)

---------------------------

On another note: I'm still here in Hebron. Apparently there was some shooting today though some people were disputing this. Sunday is usually our day off, but I took a new CPT'er named Kim out for a tour of the Old City and we found out that in the area just outside the Old City, the Army had begun a curfew. It's strange to walk the streets with all the shops closed and no one around. We did come to the edge of the curfew area and there were alot of kids hanging around as well as members from TIPH (Temporary International Presence in Hebron). Later we heard that the Israelis had arrested a kid for throwing rocks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home