Sophia's Peace Work

Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Well, I'm back where I started ... New Paltz, New York ... hanging with my friend Lorna, with whom I started this journey nine months ago. It's lovely countryside here, the weather is cool and the leaves are starting to turn, great for some necessary down time ... unfortunately I came back with a foot infection and, thanks to some snotty children on the plane, a cold. So I'm hobbling about the house sniffling and recovering from jet lag.

But I can't afford to do this for long. I have so much to do! Resize and organize all my photos, assemble my thoughts and create some kind of coherent presentation about what the this trip meant, and try to make some connections with people here who might want to help the environmental education project in Iraq.

Baghdad was a difficult place to work for the last few weeks ... trying to stay off the streets, always wearing hijab (only a useful disquise if I ran into very short-sighted Iraqis), being forced to use private cars instead of taxis ... all of this made my work harder and more frustrating. Now I can hardly believe that I'm free of that ... and in a place that is pretty much the polar opposite of Baghdad ... clean, quiet ... peaceful.

Things we take for granted.


2 Comments:

  • hey, happy to hear you had a safe trip back home! i`ve been reading your blog with great interest on and off since the beginning. rest, relax, then recharge! what you've learnt these past months will serve you for the rest of your life. share it with others in the best way you can.

    peace,
    Leila in Montreal, Canada

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at October 20, 2004 3:41 AM  

  • thank you for sharing your experiences and thoughts. i've been following along when I can. take the time to rest, then share your stories and photos... we all have so much to learn.

    kate
    (a little bit up the river from you in New York)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 04, 2004 10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home