Sophia's Peace Work

Thursday, April 07, 2005

So the Iraqis now have a President - And a Kurdish President at that!

Yesturday's road closures were all to protect the Iraqi government meetings what would select the new president. The news reports are full of Kurds celebrating this unprecedented events. A non-arab at the head of an arab nation. Other Iraqis I've talked to seem fine with the news. "They are Iraqis afterall," my old translator told me.

It's a good sign to most people that the Kurds are participating in the Iraqi government. But I wonder if Talabani, the new president, will try to speak for all Iraqis ... not just the Kurds. Hmmmmm, I guess if I were him, I'd start touring the country, starting in the south, talking to as many Iraqis as I could to hear their concerns and thoughts.

But that's just me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home